There’s nothing quite like watching a movie that makes you feel like you’re right there with the characters. The type of movie that makes you want to jump out of your seat and run around in your PJs singing along to every word. Who doesn’t love a good old-fashioned pirate story? If you love adventure, thrills, and swashbuckling scenes as much as we do, then creating your own homemade Jack Sparrow costume is going to be your new favorite activity.
From DIY articles about how to make a homemade pirate costume to tutorials on YouTube showing you step-by-step instructions for making your own elaborate costumes. Here are the best places on the Internet where you can find all of the information that you need to bring your homemade Jack Sparrow costume from paper sketches straight into an authentic-looking outfit worthy of appearing in any Captain Jack Sparrow film.
Table of Contents
How to Make a Jack Sparrow Costume: The Basics
When you’re getting started with making your own pirate costume, it can be helpful to first understand the basics of how to make a pirate costume. While the process for making a pirate costume is similar for all of them, the materials you’ll need for each are different. First and foremost, you’ll need to figure out what type of pirate you want to be.
Will you be Captain Jack Sparrow, Will Turner, or even Captain Barbosa? We suggest that you first make a list of the characters that you love the most from classic pirate movies. Why not add in your favorite modern pirates too? This will help you figure out which pirate you’d like to be the most. Next, you’ll need to decide on the type of pirate costume that you’d like to make. Are you looking to make a full pirate ensemble or would you rather just focus on creating a costume for your face? This will help you narrow down the type of pirate costume that you’ll make.
What You Need to Make a Jack Sparrow Costume
Before you even start thinking about buying any materials for your homemade pirate costume, you’ll want to make sure you have everything that you need. This way, you don’t have to rush out and buy anything just because you have a weird urge to make a pirate costume. Make sure to bring enough materials to create your entire costume, whether it be your full pirate outfit or your pirate face piece.
Here’s a list of everything that you’ll need to make a Jack Sparrow costume:
– A Wig with a bandana. You can find it on amazon ( check me ).
– A white or brown pirate shirt – You’ll want to make sure that your shirt is a white or brown color. This will make it much easier for you to see any stains or spots in your shirt. Otherwise, you might end up ruining your shirt if you’re not careful. You’ll also want to make sure that your shirt is long enough to cover your entire body and arms.
– Black or dark Brown pants – You’ll also want to make sure that you have long enough black / brown pants to cover your entire body from your ankles to your mid-thighs. If you don’t have long enough pants, it’s going to be hard to make a full pirate costume with you.
( check on amazon )
– A black or brown cloth belt – You’ll also need a belt that goes around your pants. Ideally, the belt you use should be the same color as your pants. The best will be if you find it in cloth , as was used in the movie or real old pirates.
– A pirate hat – Make sure that your hat is large enough to cover your entire head . ( check on amazon )
– Shoes or better Boots – Many pirates ,even Jack Sparrow used to wear black boots.
– A pirate coat ( check on amazon )
– A vest ( old one if possible ) to wear under the coat
– An old rusty pirate sword. ( check on amazon )
– An old pirate gun ( check on amazon ).
Jack Sparrow Costuming Tips for Accessories
When creating a Jack Sparrow costume, we suggest that you keep these tips in mind to make sure that you end up with a costume that is just as authentic as any pirate costume. These tips will help you create your costume in a way that will make it both authentic-looking and easy to wear.
– Make sure to choose the right fabric, it must look old and a little dirty.
– The tattoos on the fingers of left hand .Don’t try to make them perfect.
– The eye makeup ( Jack sparrow eyes was always with makeup )
-Beads for wig
How to Make a Homemade Jack Sparrow Pirate Costume under 100 $
When you’re ready to start making your own homemade Jack Sparrow pirate costume, it’s important to make sure that you choose the right materials .
This is a complete list from making a homemade jack sparrow costume under 100$ :
–Got to have a Jack Sparrow Wig (bought one, minus the bandana with a online discount coupon from Spirit Halloween) @$16.00
–Beads for wig (found some around the house)
–Used women’s button down dress (you will be trimming a lot to make the elongated pirate vest) $6.00 at thrift store
–Fake leather fabric (it looks good, is light weight and cheaper than the real thing) for pirate boot slips bought at Jo Anne’s Fabrics under $10 per yard.
–White bed sheet with red lines (for the sash wrap around waist) $2.00 at thrift store
–Large white long sleeved button shirt (used an old one from my collection)
–Extra Large brown belt (it must have extra length to wrap and hang down)
–Toy pirate gun .99 cent Store
–Pirate sword (I lucked out and got an official talking Captain Jack sword) $2.00 at thrift store
Scissorstape measuresewing kitglue gunsoldering gun
Drillmetal filesacrylic paints
Now that you understand how to make a Jack Sparrow costume from scratch, it’s time to get started on creating your own Jack Sparrow costume. It’s important to remember that a pirate costume is not just about making your own pirate costume but about sharing the joy of piracy with others by joining one of the many pirate clubs that are popping up all over the world. These clubs allow you to dress up like a pirate and share the experience with others. These are the best places to officially join a pirate club and learn how to make a pirate costume from scratch.